I thought it would be useful to provide a quick update on where we are with the Council’s recycling and waste service. I stress this is a very-fast moving situation, so details may change at any time.
- . The Council has taken this decision based on the most recent government advice on social distancing and non-essential travel during the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to ensure the safety of both residents and employees. Trips to recycling centres are not included on the government list of essential reasons for travel.
- I am hoping this will not result in more incidents of fly-tipping, but if you witness anything please report it here.
- Volumes of recycling and waste are high but we will try and keep up a normal collection service for as long as possible, although some crews are working short-handed. Missed collections should be caught up.
- The Council has been training some Glendale staff ready to redeploy to Biffa as and when necessary. More agency staff are also being trained.
- . It can take as little 20 seconds if a box is sorted – and as long as 2 minutes if recycling is mixed up. Please also wash and squash plastic cartons. With staffing pressures crews are working really hard so we can all help. More information in this leaflet.
- Our crews have noticed a big rise in the amount of cardboard being put out (more home deliveries?). This does slow down the crews and means we might see an increase in missed collections. Please help by collapsing, flattening and folding cardboard boxes and if you have more than normal consider keeping some back until your next collection day.
- We’ve seen an increase in being put in recycling boxes, which is causing concern and may result in bins being left. Tissues are not recyclable and should go in your black wheelie bin. If you or anyone in your house has or is showing symptoms of coronavirus please take these special measures to dispose of your waste (double-bag, tie securely and keep separate from other waste for 72 hours).
- We are very mindful of the safety of our crews. At the moment, crews are mustering outside each morning (rather than in the building) and the canteen has been closed. The situation is under constant review.
- Given many more of you will be working from home, .
Thank you. Stay Home and Save Lives.