Steve Bridger is Yatton ward COUNCILLOR on North Somerset Council.
- Elected to represent Yatton ward on North Somerset Council on 2nd May 2019
A bit more about me…
- Originally from Taunton, and my two children both went to school in Yatton before going on to Backwell School.
- Nominated for a Yatton Parish Council Volunteer of the Year Award in 2017.
- Served as a governor of Yatton Infants School in the noughties.
- Have worked online for 25 years and have been a digital advisor to more than one hundred charities and membership organisations.
- Committed to online community building and have created and nurtured several community-centred websites.
- I handled the official social media activity for The Big Lunch when it launched in 2009.
- Organised and run ‘digital literacy’ training and social media ‘surgeries’.
- I was invited by Nesta – an innovation charity – to sit on a panel deciding funding innovative fundraising ideas with a social impact.
- Presented with a writing award by the President of Mexico.
- Taught English and Science in a bilingual primary school in Mexico.
- Volunteered one night a week for a year at Centrepoint’s first hostel supporting homeless young people in Soho, London.
- I worked at Oxfam HQ for three years in the late 80s during which time I organised the annual charity appeal for Blue Peter, which raised £1.4m.
- Member of the Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA), Yatton and Congresbury Wildlife Action Group (YACWAG), Yatton Local History Society, the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) and the National Trust.
- Keen photographer of our local landscapes; out everyday walking around the village.
- I have a degree in development economics from the University of East Anglia
- As well as Somerset, I’ve also lived in Norwich, Oxford, London… and many locations in Mexico.
- My first job was delivering mail around County Hall in Taunton. This was in the days of typing pools.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it’s not.” Dr. Seuss, The Lorax