According to The National Lottery Community Fund, 33 per cent of people think the UK’s community spirit is dying out, while 29 per cent say it only comes out in a crisis. We are a community, but community activities are often fragmented and people’s time and commitment is rare and valuable. I will never take this for granted. Together we should strive to deliver a truly sustainable community, with improved connectivity and safe walking and cycling.
- The Council has the powers to tackle pavement parking. I will work with others to take action. #PavementsForPeople
- I will monitor our bin collection service, seek to improve and increase recycling.
- I will support initiatives to reduce single-use plastic and help Yatton, Claverham and Congresbury become a Plastic Free Community.
- I will do everything I can to support the residents of Wakedean Gardens.
- I will encourage the Council to replace its pool of petrol and diesel-driven vehicles.
- Mindful of the new medical centre to be built on Smallway, I will support Yatton & District Carers – a voluntary community car scheme – to recruit drivers to help people who find it hard to get to health-related appointments.
- I want to encourage more neighbourhoods to organise Big Lunches – as we have done in our street every June for 10 years.
- If elected I will be a ‘digital champion’ councillor and encourage the creation of free drop-in sessions with volunteers on hand to help older people quickly sort technical issues with their tablet, smartphone or laptop. (For example, a Gadget Club already meets at Weston Library every Friday).
- I will do what I can to ensure the Council better supports the actions of residents who every day make a difference to the causes that they believe in.